Did you know? A chair that doesn’t adjust to, or support your body will actually cause long-term health problems.
Many people don’t realize their pain is associated from long hours of sitting in an unsupportive chair.
9 Signs You Need a Better Chair
Do you suffer from?
- Pain: Prolonged sitting with bad posture can cause chronic back pain, spinal degradation and an actual change in your spinal curve.
- Joint Stress: Poor posture causes joint stress. Eventually this leads to pain and breakdown of the tissues surrounding your joints.
- Herniated Disks: Slouching is often the cause of herniated disks. This aggravates the nerves in your spine causing numbness or pain in your arms, back or legs.
- Headaches: Slouching and poor posture cause headaches, due to build up of tension in the upper back, neck and shoulders.
- Fatigue: Extended periods of slouching causes prolonged physical stress on the muscles in your neck and back causing fatigue, soreness and pain. In addition, the resulting inhibition of blood flow and decreased circulation in the body leads to lethargy, affecting alertness and causing mistakes.
- Digestive Issues: Slouching bunches organs in your body like an accordion, essentially creating a digestive traffic jam throughout your stomach and intestines. Slouching can even be attributed to digestive issues like acid reflux and hernias.
- Poor Breathing: The lungs function optimally when the diaphragm and rib cage can properly expand. Poor posture restricts blood and oxygen flow, which makes it difficult to breathe and oxygenate the blood.
- Negative Mood: When the body is slouched and constricted, it prevents it from working optimally, which results in a poor mood. Over time, bad sitting posture can lead to fatigue, depression, pain and headaches.
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome: The nerves in the neck and upper back control function in the arms and hands. When you slouch you pinch the vertebrae in the neck. The vertebrae in the neck and upper back are attached to the elbows, wrists and hands. Slouching increases pressure and causes a chain reaction of adverse effects. These negative effects include tingly elbows, wrists, hands and ultimately carpal tunnel syndrome.